Some traveler once said: “If you are in love, a week in Da Lat will make your love turn into a happy ending!”. Located in the South Central Highlands of Vietnam (Lang Biang Highlands), Da Lat was originally the playground of the French. From then on, Da Lat was built with French-style houses, villas, treatment centers, and temperate flowers and plants. This development slowly formed the romantic and glamorous Da Lat we know today – a place with pure mountain air for those seeking refuge from the heat and humidity of the coast and Ho Chi Minh City.
The town today is called “valley of love”, surrounded by a cool, fresh and silently charming atmosphere. Do not miss this place when you are on a trip to Vietnam.
Da Lat weather
Nestled in the highlands, Da Lat boasts a charming climate that enchants visitors with its mildness. The town is graced with tall pine trees that enclose it, providing a unique advantage in terms of height, and contributing to its temperate climate. With an average temperature of 18°C to 21°C, Da Lat is a haven for lovers seeking a respite from the scorching heat.
During one day, this city experiences four weather patterns corresponding to the four seasons of the year. Indian travelers can easily and completely perceive such changes In the morning, Da Lat is as warm as in spring. At noon, the whole city is sunk into summer sunshine. Da Lat afternoon is full of white clouds floating in the autumn sky and the cold at night is what makes people keep closely attached to this city. These particular weather patterns have become a catalyst for people to be emotionally sublimated. So, people often head to Da Lat to experience four seasons with different levels of emotions. Rain or sunshine, warm or cold, people want to be closer to each other.
>> READ MORE:
How to get to Da Lat from India
There are no direct flights from India to Da Lat, but travelers can reach Da Lat through connecting flights from major cities in Vietnam, such as Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. Indian travelers can first fly to either Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi and then take a domestic flight to Da Lat. Alternatively, they can take a bus or a private car from Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi to Da Lat, which can take around 7-8 hours. Another option is to take a train from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Lat, which takes around 7-8 hours as well.
Getting around Da Lat
In Da Lat, tourists can rent motorbikes, cars, taxis, or use ride-hailing apps to travel between tourist destinations. The rental price for a motorbike is from 120,000 Vietnamese Dong per day, while the rental price for a self-driving car is from 700,000 Vietnamese Dong per day.
Depending on your budget and preferences, you can choose from a variety of accommodations in Da Lat, ranging from guesthouses, homestays, hotels, resorts to luxury villas. If you enjoy shopping and dining in the city, staying near the city center may be the best for you, while booking a room in the suburbs nature lovers can be perfect for those who want to avoid the hustle and bustle.
Homestays in Da Lat: often have a rustic, romantic, and poetic vibe. However, popular homestays and hotels often fill up quickly, so if you intend to stay in one of them, it’s advisable to contact and book early.
Glamping: a new and trendy form of accommodation for tourists visiting Da Lat. It is particularly suitable for young people, small families on weekend trips or holidays, who want to be close to nature while still enjoying basic amenities. This type of lodging offers a unique and different experience from the usual atmosphere in India. Some noteworthy places to consider are Twin Beans Farm, CampArt #Mợ Jen, and Da Lat Camp…
Top visiting places
Da Lat was formed in 1893 when French doctor Alexandre Yersin first set foot on the Lam Vien plateau. From the mid-1910s, the French arrived in Da Lat and built not only a resort paradise but also a beautiful city with villas, public works, schools, hotels, and more. Combined with its naturally beautiful landscape, Da Lat seems to want to capture the hearts of all tourists with its endless charm and harmony between man-made architecture and nature:
Historical, architectural, and religious destinations: Domaine de Marie Church, System of Dinh I, II, III during the reign of King Bao Dai, Provincial Chief’s Palace, Tran Le Xuan Mansion, Nguyen Huu Hao Palace, Linh Quy Phap An Pagoda.
Natural attractions: Tuyen Lam Lake, Datanla Waterfall, watching the sunrise at Cau Dat Tea Hill, exploring various animal species at Chika Farm, admiring flowers and taking photos at the city flower garden, Cam Tu Cau garden in Trai Mat, lavender garden at Tuyen Lam Lake, and the flower village of Van Thanh.
>> READ MORE:
Top dishes to try
- Banh uot long ga: has a sour taste due to the accompanying chicken salad, unlike the more common “bánh ướt” served with Vietnamese ham. Diners will enjoy the soft and fragrant “bánh ướt” mixed with chicken meat and offal in a slightly sweet and sour fish sauce, along with the pungent taste of herbs.
- Lau ga la e: is a must-try dish imported to Da Lat. The tender chicken meat, sweet mushrooms, crispy bamboo shoots, and the light taste of lá é leaves an unforgettable impression on diners, especially when enjoyed in the cool weather.
- Banh mi xiu mai chay: is a breakfast dish that tourists should try. It consists of hot bread served with vegan round meatballs and a bowl of broth with oil, green onions, and spicy sauce.
- Banh can: a simple dish introduced to Da Lat from other regions. Rice flour is poured into a mold, added with the diversified cake filling such as shrimp, egg, or mined pork… depending on your personal preferences. All create a wholesome and unique flavor.
- Banh trang nuong: is made from pounded rice paper with eggs, cheese, liver pate, beef jerky, and mayonnaise on top. The fragrant and hot cake is baked on a charcoal stove and served with chili sauce.
Da Lat Travel Guides & Recommendations
Vietnam Itineraries with Da Lat
15 Days 14 Nights
Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - Danang - Nha Trang - Da Lat - Ho Chi Minh City - Cu Chi Tunnels - Mekong Delta - Siem Reap
From Rs. 68,396
FAQs about Da Lat
The best way to get to Da Lat from India is by taking a flight to Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi and then connecting to a domestic flight to Lien Khuong Airport, which is about 30km away from Da Lat.
You should pack comfortable clothing for cool weather, such as jackets, sweaters, and long pants. It’s also recommended to pack comfortable shoes for walking, a hat, sunscreen, and insect repellent.
Yes, there are vegan food options available in Da Lat. Many restaurants in the city offer vegetarian and vegan dishes, and some even specialize in plant-based cuisine. Visitors can also find fresh produce and ingredients at local markets to cook their own vegan meals. Here are some addresses of vegan restaurants in Da Lat:
- Veggie Viet – 12A Bui Thi Xuan Street, Ward 2, Da Lat
- Loving Hut Da Lat – 109 Bui Thi Xuan Street, Ward 2, Da Lat
- Hapu Organic Farm – 42/6 Hai Thuong Lan Ong, Ward 8, Da Lat
- Veggie House – 16 Bui Thi Xuan Street, Ward 2, Da Lat
- Minh Chay Da Lat – 20A Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Ward 1, Da Lat
Please note that addresses may be subject to change over time, so it’s always a good idea to confirm the address before visiting.
There are many romantic things to do in Da Lat, Vietnam, that can only be found in this charming city. Here are some examples:
- Take a stroll through the Valley of Love, a beautiful park with flower gardens, a lake, and a replica of the Eiffel Tower.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee with your loved one at one of the many unique coffee shops in Da Lat, such as the Maze Bar, which has a fun and quirky atmosphere.
- Visit the Da Lat Flower Gardens, a vast garden filled with colorful flowers and plants, perfect for a romantic walk or picnic.
- Stay in a cozy homestay or boutique hotel, such as Ana Mandara Villas or Villa Vista – Da Lat, for a romantic getaway.
- Take a boat ride on Tuyen Lam Lake, a picturesque lake surrounded by mountains and pine forests.
- Enjoy a candlelit dinner at one of Da Lat’s many restaurants, such as the Villa Vista – Da Lat or the Good Morning Vietnam Restaurant, with delicious food and a romantic atmosphere.